Web Links !
Websites of local interest selected by the University Park Library staff.
- Housing Assistance
- Energy Assistance
- Food Pantries
- Grants, Scholarships, and Financial Aid
- Social Services
- Emergency Information
- Consumer Information
- Legal Information
- Jobs and Education
- Genealogy and Local History
- Hospitals and Health Care
- Federal Government
- State Government
- County Government
- Local Government
- Local Schools
- Local Colleges
- Local Churches
- Hope Now – Free support and guidance for Homeowners.
- Illinois Housing Development Authority – Assistance information for homeowners, renter landlords and seniors.
- Housing Authority of Cook County – Rental assistance for low-income housing in Cook County. Also check here to find out about section 8 waiting list application.
- Housing Choice Voucher Program – Low income rental assistance and section 8 information.
- Chicago Housing Authority – Public housing assistance for the city of Chicago.
- South Suburban Pads – South Suburban shelters and services for the homeless.
- National Fair Housing Alliance – National Association with local affiliates dedicated to ending housing discrimination.
- Mortgage Loan – An independent website providing information on Green Energy, Efficient Mortgages, with a free and anonymous mortgage loan and rate calculator.
- LIHEAP – Illinois low-income energy assistance program.
- IHWAP – Illinois home weatherization assistance program.
- Nicor Gas – Links to programs with assistance for gas bills.
- Peoples Energy – More links to programs with assistance for gas bills.
- Exelon (ComEd) – Assistance program for electric bills.
- Keep Warm Illinois – Home energy information form the Governor’s office.
- Rich Township Food Pantry – Located in Richton Park
- Thornton Township Food Assistance Program – Located in Harvey
- Greater Chicago Food Depository – Search over hundreds of food pantries located in the Chicago land area.
- Catholic Charities Nutrition Services – Food services for Cook County.
- Together We Cope – A program that gives assistance opportunities to low-income families.
- CEDA – Community Economic Development Association of Cook County.
Grants, Financial Aid, & Scholarships
- FAFSA – A website that helps students pay for college.
- Grants.gov – A central storehouse of information on over a thousand federal grant programs.
- Catalog of Federal Domestic Assistance – Search the database of all federal assistance programs.
- Small Business Administration Financial Assistance – Find programs offering financial assistance to small business.
- Student Aid on the Web – A guide to federal student aid programs.
- FastWeb – Scholarships, Internships, Colleges, and more.
- Scholarships.com – Find FREE scholarship money and bring your college dreams to life!
- Learning Ally – Accessible Audiobooks for students with visual impairment, dyslexia, or learning disabilities. Formerly Recording for the Blind & Dyslexic.
- Illinois Talking Book Outreach Center – Services for people with visual or reading disabilities.
- Chicago Lighthouse – Programs and services for the blind and visually impaired.
- South Suburban Family Shelter – Programs and services for families suffering from domestic violence.
- Metropolitan Family Services – Metropolitan is a source for counseling, parenting programs, after-school programs, legal assistance, respite care, or mental health services.
- Aunt Martha’s Youth Services and Health Center – Offers a variety of programs and services for children, teens and families in Illinois. Services include child welfare, community based healthcare, juvenile justice and prevention services.
- South_Southwest Suburban United Way – Sponsors a variety of health and human services agencies in the Southland.
- Family Guidance Center – A not-for-profit behavioral healthcare organization that treats and prevents substance abuse.
- Illinois Identification Cards– Illinois-issued identity cards for non-drivers including seniors, disabled persons and the homeless.
- Social Service Connector -From the Cook County Sheriff, a directory of social service organizations that may be useful when facing an eviction.
- Emergency Closing Center – Find out if your school, library or daycare center is closed due to weather or other emergencies.
- IDOT Winter Road Conditions – Find current winter road conditions across the state.
- Fuel Economy – Find gas mileage and emissions rating for new and used cars.
- Institute for Consumer Credit Education – Assists low-to-moderate income consumers with issues , such as housing, bankruptcy and foreclosure.
- Gazelle – Sell or recycle your used electronic gadgets.
- Recycle Place – Sell your used toner and ink cartridges.
- Annual Credit Report – This is the ONLY authorized, secure source to get your free annual credit report under federal law.
- Free Court Dockets – Free access to over 33 million court case dockets.
- Find Legal Help – Get help finding a lawyer, seeking free legal services, or researching your legal problems on your own.
- Illinois Legal Aid – This extensive website features a variety of resources to assist patrons in answering legal questions. Se habla español.
- Illinois Pro Bono – Training and practice support for volunteer attorneys. NOTE: This website is intended for use by attorneys; it is NOT intended as a resource for finding volunteer attorneys.
- Illinois Legal Advocate – Those who assist others in navigating legal resources will find training and practice support here.
- Handbook on Workers; Compensation and Occupational Diseases – a general guide to the rights and obligations of employees who have experienced work-related injuries or diseases, as well as the rights and obligations of their employers, under the Illinois Workers’ Compensation and Occupational Diseases Acts.
Jobs and Education
- Job Search Resources – Resources on the internet and in the library to help you with your job search
- GED Testing Program for Cook County – Find test sites and dates for the GED
- i-Pathways – Find GED and adult education resources
- Khan Academy – Free videos on math, science, and business topics for students
- Academic Earth – Pursue a world-class education for free. Download and view lectures and courses from some of the best universities in the country.
- CriminalJusticePrograms.com – For those interested in a career in Criminal Justice, this website is a comprehensive resource for information on occupational outlook and educational opportunities nationwide.
- Medical Assisting Programs-For those interested in a career as a Medical Assistant, this website is a comprehensive resource for information on this program Statewide.
Genealogy and Local History
- South Suburban Genealogical and Historical Society – Serving South Cook County and east Will County, including Chicago’s Roseland and Pullman neighborhoods
- Homewood Historical Society – Serving neighboring Homewood
- Historic Pullman Foundation – Serving the Pullman Historic District in South Chicago
- Illinois State Historical Society – Fosters awareness, understanding, research and preservation of Illinois history
- Illinois State Genealogical Society – Research ancestors with an Illinois connection. Includes the Cemetery Location Project
- Illinois State Archives – Historical depository of public records from Illinois state and local government agencies
- National Archives – Historical depository of public records from the United States Federal government
- Latter Day Saints Family History Records – You will find local Family History Centers located in Chicago Heights and Orland Park
- Newberry Library Genealogy – Extensive genealogy collections. Includes Chicago Ancestors which shows history based on map locations
- Afro-American Historical and Genealogical Society – A national organization located in Washington D.C.
- Illinois African American Genealogy – Links to relevant records and databases
- Afrigeneas – A resource for African ancestors genealogy
- IRS Tax Forms – Download your federal tax forms
- Illinois State Tax Forms –Download Illinois state tax forms
- IRS Offices – Find your nearest IRS office for tax assistance
- IRS Free File – Find out if you qualify for free federal tax filing online
- TurboTax – Easily prepare your tax return and file income taxes online.
- IL-1040 Web File – Find out if you qualify for free Illinois tax filing online
- Illinois Property Tax Appeal Board – Check the status of your appeal
- Indiana Department of Revenue – Download Indiana state tax forms
Hospitals and Health Care
- Illinois Hospital Report Card – Consumer ratings for health care choices in Illinois.
- Advocate South Suburban Hospital
- Ingalls Health System – Information on Ingalls Memorial Hospital and other South Suburban health centers.
- Franciscan St. James Health – Information/ Locations on St. James Hospital
- All Kids Healthcare for Kids – Illinois program covering immunizations, lead screenings, hearing and vision screenings, and more.
- Illinois Immunization Program
- Cook County Immunization Program
- Immunization Clinics – List of free and low-cost options for school immunizations.
- Health-E Illinois – Find health services and providers in Illinois.
- Handbook on Workers’ Compensation and Occupational Diseases – a general guide to the rights and obligations of employees who have experienced work-related injuries or diseases, as well as the rights and obligations of their employers, under the Illinois Workers’ Compensation and Occupational Diseases Acts.
- USA.gov– The Federal Government’s web portal to a vast array of information and services.
- WhiteHouse.gov – Information and programs from the Administration of 44th President Barack Obama.
- State of Illinois
- Illinois Blue Book – The official State of Illinois manual
- Illinois Secretary of State – Find services for motorists, small businesses, seniors and persons with disabilities
- Illinois Department of Revenue
- Find Your Districts and Elected Officials
- Illinois General Assembly
- Illinois Lottery
- Illinois State Police
- Illinois Cash Dash – Search for unclaimed property
- Illinois Benefits – Sign up for Illinois Cares RX
- Circuit Breaker
- Find-It! Illinois – Services from the Illinois State Library
- University of Illinois Extension – Includes information on Horticulture, Parenting & Seniors, Nutrition, Schools, 4-H, Environmental Stewardship and more
- Recovery Illinois – Get information on state use of federal stimulus funds and projects associated with stimulus investment
- Cook County Assessor
- Cook County Treasurer
- Cook County Clerk
- Cook County Department of Public Health
- Cook County Public Guardian
- Cook County GED Testing
- Cook County Information Center
- Governors State University
- Prairie State College
- South Suburban College
- Illinois Virtual Campus – Distance education through Illinois colleges and universities.
- Illinois Harvest, University of Illinois – Collection of digital resources about Illinois, including maps, books, photographs, posters, and manuscripts.
- First Baptist Church of University Park
- Faith United Protestant ChurchMiller Chapel African Methodist Episcopal Church
- Church of St. Mary
Living Creek Christian Church
Faith Movers Church
- Pace Buses – Serving suburban Chicago
- Metra – Chicago suburban commuter railway
- Chicago Airports – Flight information for Midway and O’Hare
- Illinois Tollways – Tollway information including IPASS
- South Shore Line Passenger Service – Commuter trains from Northwest Indiana
- Cook County Clerk Election Site – Register to vote, find your polling place and sample ballots
- Vote for Judges – Nonpartisan information about Cook County judicial elections
- Illinois State Bar Association – Judicial evaluations
- League of Women Voters of Illinois
- League of Women Voters of Cook County
- Illinois State Board of Elections District/Official Search – Find contact information for your elected officials