Web Links !
Websites of local interest selected by the University Park Library staff.
- Housing Assistance
- Energy Assistance
- Food Pantries
- Grants, Scholarships, and Financial Aid
- Social Services
- Emergency Information
- Consumer Information
- Legal Information
- Jobs and Education
- Genealogy and Local History
- Hospitals and Health Care
- Federal Government
- State Government
- County Government
- Local Government
- Local Schools
- Local Colleges
- Local Churches
- Hope Now – Free support and guidance for Homeowners.
- Illinois Housing Development Authority – Assistance information for homeowners, renter landlords and seniors.
- Housing Authority of Cook County – Rental assistance for low-income housing in Cook County. Also check here to find out about section 8 waiting list application.
- Housing Choice Voucher Program – Low income rental assistance and section 8 information.
- Chicago Housing Authority – Public housing assistance for the city of Chicago.
- South Suburban Pads – South Suburban shelters and services for the homeless.
- National Fair Housing Alliance – National Association with local affiliates dedicated to ending housing discrimination.
- Mortgage Loan – An independent website providing information on Green Energy, Efficient Mortgages, with a free and anonymous mortgage loan and rate calculator.
- LIHEAP – Illinois low-income energy assistance program.
- IHWAP – Illinois home weatherization assistance program.
- Nicor Gas – Links to programs with assistance for gas bills.
- Peoples Energy – More links to programs with assistance for gas bills.
- Exelon (ComEd) – Assistance program for electric bills.
- Keep Warm Illinois – Home energy information form the Governor’s office.
- Rich Township Food Pantry – Located in Richton Park
- Thornton Township Food Assistance Program – Located in Harvey
- Greater Chicago Food Depository – Search over hundreds of food pantries located in the Chicago land area.
- Catholic Charities Nutrition Services – Food services for Cook County.
- Together We Cope – A program that gives assistance opportunities to low-income families.
- CEDA – Community Economic Development Association of Cook County.
Grants, Financial Aid, & Scholarships
- FAFSA – A website that helps students pay for college.
- Grants.gov – A central storehouse of information on over a thousand federal grant programs.
- Catalog of Federal Domestic Assistance – Search the database of all federal assistance programs.
- Small Business Administration Financial Assistance – Find programs offering financial assistance to small business.
- Student Aid on the Web – A guide to federal student aid programs.
- FastWeb – Scholarships, Internships, Colleges, and more.
- Scholarships.com – Find FREE scholarship money and bring your college dreams to life!
- Learning Ally – Accessible Audiobooks for students with visual impairment, dyslexia, or learning disabilities. Formerly Recording for the Blind & Dyslexic.
- Illinois Talking Book Outreach Center – Services for people with visual or reading disabilities.
- Chicago Lighthouse – Programs and services for the blind and visually impaired.
- South Suburban Family Shelter – Programs and services for families suffering from domestic violence.
- Metropolitan Family Services – Metropolitan is a source for counseling, parenting programs, after-school programs, legal assistance, respite care, or mental health services.
- Aunt Martha’s Youth Services and Health Center – Offers a variety of programs and services for children, teens and families in Illinois. Services include child welfare, community based healthcare, juvenile justice and prevention services.
- South_Southwest Suburban United Way – Sponsors a variety of health and human services agencies in the Southland.
- Family Guidance Center – A not-for-profit behavioral healthcare organization that treats and prevents substance abuse.
- Illinois Identification Cards– Illinois-issued identity cards for non-drivers including seniors, disabled persons and the homeless.
- Social Service Connector -From the Cook County Sheriff, a directory of social service organizations that may be useful when facing an eviction.
- Emergency Closing Center – Find out if your school, library or daycare center is closed due to weather or other emergencies.
- IDOT Winter Road Conditions – Find current winter road conditions across the state.
- Fuel Economy – Find gas mileage and emissions rating for new and used cars.
- Institute for Consumer Credit Education – Assists low-to-moderate income consumers with issues , such as housing, bankruptcy and foreclosure.
- Gazelle – Sell or recycle your used electronic gadgets.
- Recycle Place – Sell your used toner and ink cartridges.
- Annual Credit Report – This is the ONLY authorized, secure source to get your free annual credit report under federal law.
- Free Court Dockets – Free access to over 33 million court case dockets.
- Find Legal Help – Get help finding a lawyer, seeking free legal services, or researching your legal problems on your own.
- Illinois Legal Aid – This extensive website features a variety of resources to assist patrons in answering legal questions. Se habla español.
- Illinois Pro Bono – Training and practice support for volunteer attorneys. NOTE: This website is intended for use by attorneys; it is NOT intended as a resource for finding volunteer attorneys.
- Illinois Legal Advocate – Those who assist others in navigating legal resources will find training and practice support here.
- Handbook on Workers; Compensation and Occupational Diseases – a general guide to the rights and obligations of employees who have experienced work-related injuries or diseases, as well as the rights and obligations of their employers, under the Illinois Workers’ Compensation and Occupational Diseases Acts.
Jobs and Education
- Job Search Resources – Resources on the internet and in the library to help you with your job search
- – Find test sites and dates for the GED
- – Find GED and adult education resources
- – Free videos on math, science, and business topics for students
- – Pursue a world-class education for free. Download and view lectures and courses from some of the best universities in the country.
- – For those interested in a career in Criminal Justice, this website is a comprehensive resource for information on occupational outlook and educational opportunities nationwide.
- -For those interested in a career as a Medical Assistant, this website is a comprehensive resource for information on this program Statewide.
Genealogy and Local History
- – Download your federal tax forms
- Download Illinois state tax forms
Hospitals and Health Care
- – The Federal Government’s web portal to a vast array of information and services.
- – Register to vote, find your polling place and sample ballots